How to be human

"The great gift of Human beings is that we have the power of Empathy."
-Meryl Streep                       


Human beings are among the most evolved species to ever populate the earth. We have a highly developed nervous coordination system that enables us to think and process differently from the other inhabitants in the world. And yet, very few would say that they were doing a good job at being who they are.
It's so weird that nobody left a manual for us to follow so we'd know exactly where we were going wrong. A manual titled How to be a better human being with steps and suggestions for things that made us better and things which didn't. Life would become so much simpler then.

Nonetheless, it's up to us to make what we can out of the things that we have to ourselves. And, slowly but steadily, I am learning what it means to be human. And how to navigate this ride I call my life.

I'm finally learning how to make mistakes and be okay with them. I'm not a pariah and so, I'm not immune to mistakes. But what they do is teach. And I'm slowly learning from them. I finally understand how it feels to be happy and sad at the same time. Things will never go the way I want to and sometimes, even when everything feels good, It may not be so. I understand now that all I need to do is work, and that someday I'll know what it was worth. I'm finally learning how to stop running from all the things that make me uncomfortable. That I need to be here if I want to grow and change something for good.

I'm beginning to be okay with things around me. I know that everything in the world is not in my control and finally, I'm alright with that. All I can do is experience it, both in the light and dark. I am content with existing, right here, at this moment. Things I do and people that come, all have a purpose and I'm finally seeing them for the things they bring in my life, The laughter, the joy, the good and the bad, the pain and the patience they teach. I'm finally accepting my place in this jungle of living, loving, breaking and breathing. Everything that happens makes a dent in the bigger picture and slowly, I'm beginning to see the meaning and the purpose in it.

I'm getting better with forgiving the past. I know now that sometimes beautiful things end, and the timing just isn't right. Several times, the messiness of life and everything with it come in the way of a good thing. But I know that endings aren't something I should necessarily be upset about. Rather, I should appreciate how lucky I was to experience what I did. The fact That I shared something hopeful and real and warm in a world that fails to make me believe of the fact that it can be soft and happy.


Finally, I'm Getting better at being alone. I'm learning how to love my company and how to take up my own space. I need to become one with myself and understand how to hold my heart before I can truly take the responsibility for another one. I am understanding that I can't fill a void in me simply by adding more people in it and instead, I'm slowly starting to confront the void itself. I'm learning how to heal it.


I'm finally learning How to be myself. To believe in the person I'm becoming and know that I'll be alright. I'm learning how to be human.



Comments

Popular Posts